Botanical medicine in rheumatology.
Botanical medicine in rheumatology.
The structure of the article:
1.Causes and main symptoms of arthritis. Standard of treatment.
2. Appointment phytopreparations to improve the effectiveness of synthetic drugs. List of herbs used.
1. Causes and main symptoms of arthritis.
Joint diseases are one of the most common causes of medical treatment.Every year there is an increase in the incidence of 3-5%.
1.Infectious agents (viral infections, staphylococci, streptococci).
2. Autoimmune disease.
3. Disorders of the neuroendocrine system.
4.Insufficient intake of sufficient micro-and macronutrients, vitamins in their natural form and vitamin-like substances.
5. Excessive exercise.
Rheumatoid arthritis: autoimmune mechanisms of tissue damage are triggered due to the inability to maintain a balance of suppression of inflammatory reactions and physiological immune responses. A number of extra-articular organ manifestations are developing.
Gout arthritis: the level of uric acid in the blood starts the process of destruction of bone tissue.
In the mechanisms of development of diseases plays an important role chronic inflammation, supported by autoimmune reactions, violation of blood supply to the tissues of the joints, reducing immune defense reactions.
Standard of treatment.
Basic therapy of rheumatoid arthritis.
1.Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
2. Steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
3. Basic anti-rheumatic agents:
– chelated compounds (D-penicillamine).
– anti-malarial drugs (derivates of 4-aminohinolina)
– gold preparations
Non-steroid and steroid anti-inflammatory drugs act exclusively on the symptoms, without affecting the underlying mechanisms of the disease.
Anti-rheumatic drugs stop the progression of diseases, improve the quality of life. But their significant drawback is the long period of application, which leads to a wide range of complications. Toxicity of drugs occurs often, which limits their use (reduction of vitamin B6 and excretion of copper ions in the application of D-penicillamine,gold preparations nephrotoxic, possibly gold deposits in the cornea of the eye, in the lungs).
Immunosuppressants are used in severe forms of rheumatic diseases, they also cause a whole set of side effects (hepatotoxicity, nausea, hyperkalemia, hyperuricemia).
2. The administration of such drugs to enhance the effectiveness of synthetic medicines. List of herbs used.
Standard treatment regimens are always associated with the appearance of severe adverse reactions.
Thus, herbal medicine is an auxiliary method of reducing the toxicity of the standard therapy of rheumatic diseases.
Directions for use of herbal remedies:
1. Plants with anti-inflammatory properties:white willow, martinia, black poplar, eucalyptus, saxifrage, pear, labaznik, Arnica mountain, turmeric, ginger, Boswellia, McLure.
2. Plants for modulation of the immune system: licorice, Echinacea, Astragalus senstitivity, Bur marigold, lemongrass, leuzea, devil’s, Andrographis paniculata, woad dye, stevia purpurea, barberry.
3. Nutraceuticals and herbs that improve metabolic processes in bone tissue: chondroitin sulfate, chelated calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, silicon preparations,
4. Hepatoprotectors: Solyanka hill, volodushka, milk Thistle, artichoke, calendula, dandelion root, burdock root. The use of essential phospholipids is justified.
5. Plants that improve the gastrointestinal tract: cypress, yarrow, marshmallow, elecampane, canadian goldenrod.
Studies have shown that the combination of herbal medicines in conjunction with chondroprotectors can reduce the frequency of exacerbations of rheumatic diseases.
Local use of herbal medicine:
For topical use effective combinations of plants with analgesic properties in the form of ointments: the essential oils of rosemary, lavender, sage, extracts of hops, barberry, Laurel, extracts of willow, hellebore, rosemary, fir essential oil, Arnica, coriander, tincture of sweet clover, Linden, of Tribulus terrestris and Sophora. For this purpose, it is possible to use a ready-made ointment base, in which it is possible to add a mixture of tinctures in various combinations. This approach is effective in comparison with ready-made drugs, since artificial additives and additional chemical ingredients are not used to prolong the shelf life of the finished pharmaceutical preparations.
The distracting effect of local herbal remedies is based on the stimulation of certain areas of the body surface. This process is associated with a change in the functional state of certain organs by means of trophic reflexes. That is, improves metabolism in tissues and organs that have one way of innervation with the site on which the locally irritating plant agent is applied.
Using the bark of the Cinchona tree:
Great interest is the use of Cinchona tree in the form of powder to suppress the severity of immune reactions. The properties of this plant in the treatment of malaria are widely known. But the pathological mechanisms of autoimmune reactions have common points of contact with the process of hyperthermia.
Biologically active components of the plant are able to suppress the transformation and proliferation of lymphocytes, destroy immune complexes, inhibit the formation of prostaglandins, prevent the release of interleukin-1. All these properties can have a positive effect to reduce the progression of rheumatic diseases.